Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Biphasic Sleep

     For about six months now, I've been a biphasic sleeper--that is to say that I have two sleep periods per day rather than just one.
     I'd tried different sleep schedules but the one that works for me is: bed at 10:30pm, up at 3:am; bed at 7:am, up at 9:30. (Previously, I went to bed at 10pm and got up at 5am.)
It's been good--and makes it feel as if I live 14 days per week.
     I did this for a number of reasons but I have to admit a major one was to get up before my cat. Formerly, I got up at 5 whilst my cat rose at 4:40 and noisily demanded food. I tried leaving out food the night before but, apparently, my cat does not like to dine alone.
     But it was the promise of eventually being able to do with less sleep that drew me in. This hasn't happened yet, but I think it will.
     It amazes me though, how much writing I can get done between 3 and 7 (after a half hour on an elliptical trainer)..
     For years, I've had bad sleep habits: thinking about things as I go to bed--resulting in it taking a long time to fall asleep. I still have that problem with the 10:30 sleep shift. But with the 7:am shift (probably because I have no habits, good or bad, I fall asleep quickly.
     The (minimal) down-side is that I've no idea when things are happening or have happened, what part of the day it is--and I say 'good morning' regardless of the clock.
     As for my cat, he's taken to getting up at 2:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment