Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crash (of the computer kind)

I suspended my blogging for about a week in order to deal with a computer crash. It was the benign class of crashes: the motherboard went south and since it was old, I needed to buy a new computer. The benign element was that the disk turned out to be fine and I lost no data. But still, it took almost a week to re-install software, find and install a driver for the new computer to use an obsolete scuzzy disk controller card, and to convince Windows-7 that I did have the right to read and write data on the scuzzy disk.

And then there was the issue of using the new machine with two monitors. After finding any answer I wanted on-line (The Dell computer could/couldn't/couldn't-even-with-a-new-video-card), I called Dell and asked them. A very knowledgeable-sounding technician said I couldn't use dual monitors on that particular Dell model. He was wrong. I found an adapter (DVI to HMDI) and tried it. And it worked. You'd think you could trust the company itself to provide accurate information (i.e. you'd think Dell would know about Dell computers). I'm astounded that apparently you can't.

Actually, the computer I use for blogging is an old, reliable, Linux laptop. But until I knew that the data on the crashed computer was safe, I couldn't concentrate on anything else.

So, now I'll resume--tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment